Monday, July 6, 2009

At the Norton Simon Museum (work in progress)


At the left, the more recent version (this morning's work), after considerable re-painting and also some sketching on a pad for composition alternatives, something I should have done before I started painting. (I ultimately kept the composition, so don't go blind trying to discern the difference.)

One of my favorite galleries at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena is is one that is full of figures by Degas. This particular oil painting, on an 11"x14" canvas, features a guard in a blue blazer, whose pose echoes that of the bronze figure. The painting also reminds me of this post --a favorite of mine--by Mademoiselle Gramaphone, which features another artist well represented at the museum, Rodin.









Below is the first version. (Last night's.)

12 comments:

  1. I'm going to like this. That's my one of my favorite galleries in the NS as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, AH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you put the guard into the painting. I was glad to discover on the re-reading that the first version is the latest. I prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should make the older version smaller, so it's obvious without reading?

    This is probably way too small a canvas for what I was trying to convey, but at least I'm painting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sweet, Jean. I think that is the docent that I boffed. Ooops. Did I write that out loud?

    I am lost over in the line drawings right now. I love your pictures and the world you create in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Museums, artists, docents, literature--our discourse is so elevated. Thanks, MG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew I would like this as soon as I saw the title, and I was right. Really special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it alot! Your changes added a lot of depth - gotta love the symmetry of the poses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Margaret and Katherine. Painting this makes me want to head back to the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got me mixed up with the docent, MH! I mean, MG!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this one - both the subject and the composition. Nice use of diagonals, both actual and implied by the direction of the gaze of the guard and the sculpture. That is one of my fave Degas sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Shanna. I am definitely obsessed with diagonals, lately. And I am a total Degas and Rodin groupie, so the Norton Simon is one of my favorite places.

    Also, I am loving your sky photos, but can't get your site to accept my raves.

    ReplyDelete