Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Seated Woman in Ink; Storing Drawings

SEATED WOMAN IN INK

Drawn from life in 2006, ink on 18"x24" white drawing paper.

One of my favorite drawings from life.

                                                 

STORING DRAWINGS

We are scheduled to have a house guest in June, so it's time to organize and stow some artwork away.  That way, our guest gets enough space to be comfortable.

I want to store the papers flat, ideally in portable, sturdy and inexpensive containers. 

My latest idea for portable, relatively cheap storage for my drawings are the acid-free cardboard boxes sold to store things like wedding gowns in.

I bought four archival boxes from The Container Store for this purpose. I've assembled the boxes--easily done, once I  ignored the instructions, with their Tabs A and B and C.   The boxes are fine for the purpose.

But I still need an even larger box, for my widest pieces.  It appears that a business called PrintFile has boxes that meet storage needs for my larger drawings.  And the boxes are sturdier, with metal reinforced corners.  Problem approaching solution, yippee!

                                                                

NATURE WATCH:  

Sometimes, deer bed down in our meadow.

18 comments:

  1. Very interesting.That's exactly where I am these days--figuring out what to do with all the drawings and sketch filled pads I've tossed on storage shelves. But the boxes still have to be laid flat and off the basement floor...so of a vertical filing system. Thanks for the research and the link.

    This is a strong drawing Jean. You do have a very nice style with the female figure: no weak lines, lots of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda.

    When I find something good, I like to share. Please let me know what solutions you come up with.

    The archival boxes are a step up from the mirror packs I have used in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the freedom and apparent ease in your sketches, just fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful drawing. Reminds me of illustrations for children’s books by Charles Keepings.
    I use similar containers. But am now running out of places to store the containers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jane.

    Thanks, Anthony.

    I already have that problem with paintings. The best solution would be to cover my walls with them. I did that in my old studio but am trying not to be so cavalier with nails in the new studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information! I love finding an affordable storage solution for artwork.

    Beautiful, strong line work on Seated Woman in Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Katherine. And, my pleasure. I'm still grateful for the info on brushes and safflower oil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not thought about the storage challenges you must face. I don't envy you. The drawing is very sultry. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Margaret.

    I'd say I envy you the ease of storage of your work, but I could achieve something similar by switching to an i-pad. I haven't done that, so it's a self-inflicted problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful form. She reminds me of a sculpture of the goddess Venus that my mom had in her bathroom when I was growing up. She was beautiful. She came to an unfortunate end when a stray rugby ball beheaded her:-o. (Venus, not my mom.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, minnemie.


    I've been thinking a lot about goddesses, lately, thanks to Margaret, at http://margaretfinnegan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. How comforting. Once I ignore the instructions, I can usually figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this one too, I clicked and looked at her enlarged. Strong lines but still mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AH, for me, instructions usually confuse, not help.

    In this particular case, the instructions are worse than confusing. Assembly without referring to them is a cinch.

    Paula, thanks.

    I like the pictures enlarged and viewed more closely. I'm glad you did so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you've got a bit of the egon shiela thing happening. always attracted to simple line drawings - especially when they work with thick and thin - I always enlarge - don't start with me on storage - ugh

    ReplyDelete
  16. PA, I love Schiele. The influenza epidemic after WWI cost us a great talent.

    I would guess your storage problems are worse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's an appealing, graceful form.

    ReplyDelete